And the best sport smoothies to make ?
If you look at our smoothie plans (for weight loss, exercise, body building, etc.) you will see we have lots and lots of recipes for smoothies & shakes. (classified by exercise, muscle building, anti-oxidants, etc.)
The reason we put so much emphasis on shakes and smoothies is because
‘taking in liquid meals’…..
is the best (and quickest) way to provide your body with exactly the right type of nutrients – at exactly the right time
A Sport smoothie or a sports Shake ??…
There is a difference between a smoothie and a shake.
A shake is usually milk based, whereas a smoothie is usually based on fruit juice (or water).
You can use either – depending on your personal tastes and preferences.
- A fruit juice based smoothie is great if you are lactose intolerant (can’t drink cows milk), would like some ‘extra’ vitamins or just enjoy the taste.
- A milk based shake, (on the other hand) will help you get slightly better sport results when consumed after training. (more details below)
The advantage of making your own sport smoothies or shakes is that you know exactly what you are putting in it (your ingredients), and will also work out a lot cheaper.
On the other hand commercial shake powder will be based on extensive research, and prepared using key ingredients. (designed to not only provide you with essential nutrients but will also be calorie controlled).
For example there are specialist weight loss shakes, smoothies designed for aerobic sports (like running or cycling) and even shakes designed for the gym and weight lifting.
Why are sport smoothies or shakes so good for an exercise diet ?
Because they are a great way to meet your nutrient needs, especially when it’s necessary to quickly consume the right mix of carbs, proteins and fluids.
In addition (as they are calorie controlled) it simplifies your diet plan – where for 1 to 2 meals you don’t need to worry about what to eat.
Which Sport Smoothie or Shake ?….
As mentioned earlier you can ‘tailor’ your drink to fit in with your lifestyle, sport and objectives.
Yes, by replacing meals you can use them to lose weight but the key emphasis on this site is to help you boost your exercise and sport results.
The key is to focus on 2 key times:
- Before (Energy & Stamina)
- After ( Recovery & Muscle Building
Taking each one in turn :
Before Exercise Sport Shakes and Smoothies..
It is important to provide your body with the right type of ‘fuel’ – depending on your sport, intensity, duration and energy demands.
By adding exactly the right ‘type’ of fuel you will help your stamina, energy, focus and endurance. For example you will need a ‘different type of shake or smoothie’ if you are playing a ‘quick’ squash match compared to running a marathon.
The advantage of a shake is that you can select exactly the right one for your energy needs. A shake or smoothie is a perfect way to provide adequate amounts of:
- Carbohydrates: to optimize your glycogen stores and to ensure maintenance of blood glucose during exercise;
- Protein: for satiety so you can train without feeling hungry;
- Low fat and fibre to facilitate digestion;
- Fluids to start exercise in a balanced hydration status.
You need to recover rapidly. This is even more important if you are planning to do more exercise later on in the day or if you (for example) are playing sport. As soon as possible after the end of exercise, i.e. within 20 minutes after exercise, a smoothie may be the perfect way to meet your recovery needs as it can provide:
- Adequate ﬂuids: 1.5 litres of fluids/kg of body weight lost;
- Adequate carbohydrates to replace muscle glycogen: 1.0-1.5 g/kg body weight;
- Adequate proteins: for building and repair of muscle tissue;
- Adequate electrolytes: mainly sodium and potassium depending on an athlete’s individual sweat rate.
How do you make a Smoothie or Shake ?….
The easiest way is to have a look at our smoothie plans for ‘step by step’ instructions as well as recipe ideas.
Not surprising will depend on your objectives.
There is a difference in the smoothie you need to use & when if you do aerobic sports (like running, swimming, etc.) or if you do weight training in the gym or want to build muscles and shape.
Similarly the type of sport smoothies you use will depend on your level of training (just starting, want to move to a next level, serious training, etc.), your age, current level of fitness, how often and when you train, etc.
Smoothie Diet Plans, Recipes & Advice
For more advice, typical smoothie diet plans, recipes and more simply follow the links.